1) Greeting me as "Hello customer" --- in other words, they don't actually know which name I use with Paypal.
2) Note that PayPal's actual email address is NOT @paypalus.com -- but most people don't bother looking to see whether an email is actually from who claims to have sent it (even though it is easy to spoof someone else's email address).
3) Note how concerned they are that I allow ActiveX controls for scripts -- that says that (a) they think I'm a Windows user who (b) uses Internet Explorer; and (c) that I want to allow someone out there in the wild-blue-yonder to control my computer via ActiveX controls.
- Remember, even if you are a Windows user, using Internet Explorer is asking for trouble -- it is the worst possible web browser. Rather than a browser with security problems, it's basically a security problem with limited browser functionality. Microsoft abuses its users by making them have IE installed for a number of its programs to work, but there's definitely no reason you have to use IE as a web browser, nor should you. There are many good, free, stable web browsers out there that give hackers and phishers much more trouble than IE does (Firefox, Chrome, Opera to name just three).
So note well:
REPUTABLE ONLINE MERCHANTS WILL NEVER SEND YOU A ZIP FILE OUT OF THE BLUE AND ASK THAT YOU OPEN IT, ESPECIALLY AFTER TURNING ON ActiveX CONTROLS! NEVER OPEN SUCH A FILE.
Just like you would never give your credit card or social security number to someone who calls you up out of the blue and pretends to be an official person, never cooperate with anyone who sends you an email and wants you to go to a website or fill out a form for them. It's a trap!
From: paypal.com <email@example.com>
Subject: Dear customer ,
Date: August 8, 2011 10:20:23 AM PDT
Aug. 08, 2011 08:19:03 PDT
Receipt No: 49561-8271-2241-61396
Your account has been temporarily limited.
- We attached to this email a confirmation form to update your details .
- Please download and extract it .
- Submitting this form you will unlimit and restore your PayPal account .
- If you are using Internet Explorer please allow ActiveX for scripts to perform all data transfers securely .
Thanks for using PayPal – the safer, easier way to pay and get paid online.
****************NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY*******************
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message. Thank you.
PayPal is a registered mark in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.
(This is where a .zip file containing the malware was attached)