SB 577 - Curbing deceptive and aggressive debt collection practices: This bill would give consumers access to more information regarding their alleged debts, and more avenues to pursue illegal and abusive debt collectors in court.
According to a recent FTC report, the debt collection world is riddled with abuses and lack of transparency. Among the serious issues the research outlined:
- Illegal garnishments.
- Lawsuits brought against consumers without sufficient evidence.
- Debt collectors trying to pursue debts far past the statute of limitations.
Keep an eye out for these e-mails to stay current on the status of these bills and other important consumer protection legislation. For daily updates, visit us on Facebook.
Economic Fairness Oregon is a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to consumer protection and fair lending laws. Our goal is to restore a financial system built to work for the people, not against them. Know someone who would like this message? Share it:
- On the web: www.economicfairnessoregon.org
- Contact: email@example.com
- Phone: 503.236.6088
- Address: 1638 NE Davis St. Portland, OR 97232
- Twitter: @EconFairnessOR
- Facebook: Economic Fairness Oregon